Thursday, March 12, 2009

Just chalk it up to experience

I like the old saying: "It never rains but it pours." I believe that it is true sometimes. We'll be toodling along (yes...toodling along) minding our own business when all of a sudden our apartment building floods or we have an infestation of cockroaches on the top floor or everyone gets sick, etc. Things seem to happen in groups, especially when they are bad things.

Today wasn't super bad but it got me a little riled up when:

Funding for an expensive (but fun) program we have lined up for Claire got cancelled. Now we have to come up with $350 out of thin air or not enroll her.

A medical consultation appointment we've been waiting 1 year for just got cancelled and moved to an indeterminate date in April. We rescheduled our physio and OT appointments this month so they could accompany us to this special appointment so now we probably won't get either of them to visit us this month - so it kind of feels like we're flushing a month's work of PT and OT goals for Claire down the toilet. Thanks Glenrose!!!

Our GRIT programming for March 20 is cancelled due to medical issues with our Developmental Specialist. Of course that happens to be Madeline's birthday, the day when I will have tons of people coming over for supper, the day when my house should be spick and span and I have to whip up an amazing meal but it's also the day that I will be at an AACL Conference until 4:30. I was really counting on the help for my mom and for me.

There was a misunderstanding in our new financial agreement with FSCD so the receipts I submitted for February did not get paid in full and I can't seem to get our worker on the phone to explain what has happened.

An old lady was blocking the drive-thru (or through?) car wash this morning for almost 15 minutes because she wasn't pulled far up enough so the sensor could detect her car and open. I also almost got hit because someone who was supposed to observe a merge felt the need to speed up and then lean on the horn to let me know I was the rude one.

Claire has been on a screaming kick the past few days. She has a very high-pitched, high-volume scream and lately has been blowing my eardrums out. She wants to be chewing on something all the time, but she's so worked up that I can't get her to hold onto her Chewy Tube for more than 1 second and it's not like I can sit beside her and hold it in her mouth 24/7.

And sometimes when all these worries start piling up, all the regular worries of life (like a clean house, doing laundry, money problems, instilling values in your children and teaching them the joys of life, etc.) seem even more daunting.

But luckily, I have a great husband who comes home and comforts me and really makes me feel like everything is fine. We ate a quick (and tasty) dinner and hopped out to the library where Ryan and Maddie looked at books on tape for his daily commute and Claire and I walked outside, enjoying the sunset and the warm weather (we were outside because her screaming was a little much for the other patrons of the library). The rejuvenating feeling of a family outing with no pressure or deadlines (or spending money) helped me to regroup and feel ok again.

On a side note, a little snippet about Claire, the GRIT program and the Hope & Harmony fundraiser was in the newspaper today. Here's a link for it.

Our musical number for the concert went well - although I was the only accompanist who didn't get a spot light put on her and who didn't get her face up on the video screen. I'm not sure whether to be insulted, or relieved. :) Claire's framed fingerpainting auctioned for $125! It was a fun night and it was nice to be surrounded by supportive people. Thanks so much for Natalie and Travis for braving the cold weather to come be with us, and for all the others who sent donations! We love you!

Anyway, Ryan just finished his report cards and now we are going to bed. Late as usual. But better late than never, right?


(WOW - a post with no pictures)

3 comments:

Dick Family said...

WOW, did it ever pour!!! Hang in there! I hope that everything eventually works itself out!

Brenna said...

Arghhhhh! I'm frustrated/disappointed for you! The good news about this is maybe something good is coming with all this bad!???

Tanis, said...

you are right about that. Usually things have to get real bad before they get better.

But they always do get better right! Just cling to that.