It seems like we've been in "limbo" when it comes to where we're living. We're managing an apartment building and it's hard to feel at home when you have no private outdoor space. Even though we've lived here for almost 3 years, I've yet to really make this our home - it's always seemed like a temporary place until we bought a house. I've been looking at our apartment lately and decided that since we may be here for some time still, I need to make the best of where we are, right now! So I've constructed an organizational and decorating plan - which is limited by no painting and alterations. Each month I'm focusing on one room or area and totally de-junking, deep cleaning, organizing and accessorizing. Last month was the bathroom since it's the smallest and easiest room to do. This month I'm working on Madeline's room since it's her birthday month and I can justify buying lots of fun stuff for her. Does anyone have any organizing tips?
Thursday, March 6, 2008
Our Home
It seems like we've been in "limbo" when it comes to where we're living. We're managing an apartment building and it's hard to feel at home when you have no private outdoor space. Even though we've lived here for almost 3 years, I've yet to really make this our home - it's always seemed like a temporary place until we bought a house. I've been looking at our apartment lately and decided that since we may be here for some time still, I need to make the best of where we are, right now! So I've constructed an organizational and decorating plan - which is limited by no painting and alterations. Each month I'm focusing on one room or area and totally de-junking, deep cleaning, organizing and accessorizing. Last month was the bathroom since it's the smallest and easiest room to do. This month I'm working on Madeline's room since it's her birthday month and I can justify buying lots of fun stuff for her. Does anyone have any organizing tips?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Your idea has inspired Kate to take similar steps in our own apartment. We've felt the same way for a while, thinking we wouldn't be renting for much longer after school. With the market the way it is, though, apartment living might be for us a bit longer than we had thought. I'll see if the Mrs. has any suggestions.
Too bad about the painting, though. I think our building needs a little bit more color than say... white. Makes the place seem more like a prison, don't you think?
Cute bathroom - I am in LOVE with baskets! What a good idea to do it room by room! Depending on how much your room budget is for Madeline, there is a totally cute toy box/cubby thing at costco for under a hundred which is in pinks, purples, yellows it's a great place to store toys and stuffed animals and cute furniture for a kids room! Can't wait to see the next room!
hey jackie, love the bathroom. i can't paint in the kids room either so I resorted to those wall art things, their pictures that are totally peelable and you can remove them anytime, at Wal-mart they have some different animals etc. Also I found in small spaces it's so important to use the vertical space so anything that can help you use that is great. I found some wire baskets that you can put together in whatever shapes you want at Superstore and they were $25 for a package that potentially can have 4 different compartments. Anywho, hope that helps.
Post a Comment